Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Andre “The King” Harrison

(The nickname is self given. I didn’t like the nicknames others had for me, so I chose my own one evening way back in the undergrad days.)

>> Where the heck are you now?

Davenport, Iowa

>> Are you married? Single? Secretly a cult member? What have you been up to all these years?

I am happily married to a beautiful, lovely lady I met while living in California. We have two daughters, Clarissa Jasmine 14 and Olivia 7. A short update of what has happened since May, 1982: spent two years in the Army; moved back to Monmouth and attended Carl Sandburg for two years; moved to Bloomington-Normal to attend ISU (hated it!); got called up by the Illinois State Police to be a Trooper, I couldn’t read license plates coming at me at 70 mph so I had to find something else to do; finished my Bachelors at WIU in Macomb; went to work for Chrysler for four years; moved to California to go to law school at Santa Clara University (partied with Johnny Cochran during the O.J. trial, worked out with fellow SCU Bronco Steve Nash – two-time NBA MVP, got into a shoving match with Jerry Rice at a night club – he’s a pretty strong dude); practiced law in Silicon Valley during the dot com craze – I was the only person in Silicon Valley that didn’t make millions of dollars; grew up; moved back to the midwest to work for John Deere. My wife Rosie and I love to travel and our jobs take us around the world. A few years ago I ran with the bulls in Pamplona, Spain. I am also an award-winning karaoke singer. I’ve sang in many countries, including Spain, Portugal, Brazil and China. I have a few favorites I like to sing, but I have never been to a karaoke bar that didn’t have the smash hit from the funkiest group on the planet . . . Afroman! Those truly exposed to great performers know the group Afroman and you know the song that I am talking about.

(ed. note. At this point in the entry I would be remiss to not mention the dangers of filling out this questionnaire while drinking heavily... thank you....)

I am also a self-crowned champion of the classic Milton Bradley game Connect 4. My current record is 367-2. In January 2003, I lost two games one evening after consuming a bit too much Crown Royal. I have since stopped drinking Crown while defending my crown.

My girls . . . Clarissa is quiet and laid back. Olivia is a bit loud, overly persistent, insists on things being done her way, and a touch high maintenance . . . she inherited all of my personality traits. Both girls are smart, beautiful, caring and fun to be around.

>> What on earth do you do for a living?

I am the operations manager at a John Deere factory. My factory makes the machines that plants the crops. It’s a very exciting and rewarding job.

>> Last time you were in Monmouth?

I was in Monmouth in April 2008. A group organized a “Kmart Reunion.” I had missed our 25-year reunion and head so many good things that I decided not to miss another opportunity to connect with old friends.

>> How do you explain 'Zippers' to people?

I don’t. I have most people convinced that I am from California.

>> Favorite motion picture of all time?

"Glitter" with Mariah Carey.

(ed. note. After ridiculing him soundly for this selection... again, the heavy drinking probably was to blame.... I got him to acquiese and give me "The 40-Year-Old Virgin" and "Knocked Up"... basically anything by Judd Apatow.... sorry, where were we?)

>> You've come this far.. how bout an email address for folks to keep in contact with ya?

harrisonandred@hotmail.com

>> Do you have your own website? You may plug it here....

The debut of the girl band I manage...

Photos??

1: Circa 2006, Clarissa and Olivia having fun with a hammer, safety glasses and a Barbie Doll.
2: Taken July 2006: Andre & Rosie going out for "date night."
3: Circa 2007: Clarissa and Olivia experimenting with dry ice . . . Olivia now wears a patch on her left eye...





No comments: