Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Erich Murphy

>>Where the heck are you now?

Chenoa, Ill., hometown of Stan Albeck, former head basketball coach at Bradley (coached Hersey Hawkins and current BU coach Jim Les.)

>>Are you married? Single? Secretly a cult member? What have you been up to all these years?

Unlike Todd, I was able to find someone who could put up with me. I've been married for 12 years (in Dec.) She had kids before I arrived. Of course, they are now old enough to procreate and I have grandchildren.

>>What on earth do you do for a living?

I am the managing editor of the Daily Leader, the local newspaper. I got into the business way back in 1983 working as a stringer for Register-Mail; took some time off to drink (graduated with B.A. and M.A. from WIU); decided it was time to quit drinking and get a real job; started working as sports editor at Review-Atlas; left town in 1994 and been here ever since. I moved to managing editor in 1998.

>>Last time you were in Monmouth?

I was in Monmouth in August for Fantasy Football draft at Wes Lovdahl's home. I get back to town a couple of times a year, notably on Super Bowl Sunday. Also when traveling through to Macomb to visit grandfather. My parents moved to Tennessee a number of years ago.

>>How do you explain " Zippers" to people?

No explanation needed for Zippers. It is unique. Should people ask more about it, I bore them with details.

>>Favorite motion picture of all time?

Hard to say, but since I've been married, I've gotten into some the original "chick flixs," such Pillow Talk (Doris Day, Rock Hudson). Actually, like my taste in music, my movie tastes are quite diverse. You can't go wrong with classics like "Slap Shot" and "The Warriors." A recent favorite would have to be "Cars" (aforementioned grandkids, you know).

>>You've come this far.. how bout an email address for folks to keep in contact with ya?

Home
bethnrick@route24.net

Work
ldreditor@mchsi.com

No comments: